Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Beauty and the pain.

It's been almost a week since my last post. I can say there is much good reason for that. Some good. Some not so awesome. The group that was here the last week, well, they were amazing. The personalities and the tender hearts were all wonderful. I am so thankful for the time we shared. They made the initial "I'm really doing this" shock a little easier to handle. We have a new group this week and they are nice, although I haven't met some of them or can't remember their names. They are overall just nice. Except that one... 

This morning after three and a half hours of helping to resuscitate a 2 year old that we have no way to diagnose, I heard one of them say, "Yea, there's someone here for 3 months. Clearly, they're delusional. I couldn't be here longer than a week." Yep, you know me, I turned to her and said that I, in fact, was the delusional person she was talking about. This broke my heart. The people in Haiti need people who want to help, who want to be here, and want them to have the best things available. I can deal with the complaining about how we don't have enough supplies, because that means that individual wants it to be better and wants to do their job to it's fullest potential. 

On to less rant-type things, we went to the beach this past Wednesday. It was glorious. God DEFINITELY did amazing creating this island, let me tell you. It was amazing. Paddleboarding in the Carribean Ocean just after snorkeling some nearby reefs! Yes, I do believe those activities will exist in Heaven. 

I know this is a bit random, but I haven't written in days and I wasn't able to journal for about 4 days. 

We lost a baby last night. One that we suspected would not make it, but it is still a sad thing. The Lord led me to a scripture this morning. It was most helpful when I was journaling and feeling rather defeated. 
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all of His benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103:2-5
Thanks for your prayers. I covet them.  

2 comments:

  1. Jess, it's amazing to hear of all of your ups and downs. They are blessed to have you there. You are right about people. Some do it because they want to be able to brag that they did it others, like you, are building your rewards up in heaven where they really count. How I wish I could be by your side. Though I haven't worked NICU in years I still have a heart for it and all the rest. Praying for God to bless you abundantly and protect you always. I love you! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you. It has been hard the past few days. We lost the one little tiny baby, then the kid we couldn't diagnose last night, and today had a pediatric code. So, yea, things are rough. Good news is that a group of neurosurgeons is coming in a couple of days to operate on all of our kids with hydrocephalus. Keep us in your prayers. I know I appreciate them! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete