Friday, October 18, 2013

The lady that cleans the rooms.


Rosie. Her name is Rosie. Just so we're clear. 

I'll get to my love for her shortly. I want to tell all of you how much I covet your prayers. This week has been the most trying week I've had since being in country. I couldn't have made it through without my God, my parents, Ellen, Alex, Kristin, Jen, and Kate. I'm eternally grateful for the different things you have been to me this week. Oh, and Scott for the ridiculous music in the car on Wednesday. You helped me forget about my troubles, even if it did remind me that I could use some help in the dance moves department. 

Okay, back to Rosie. 

As I write this from the floor in room #2, she has taken off her shoes and slid around on a towel drying the floor. Our A/C has been on the fritz lately. It's all Ellen's fault. Rosie has graciously agreed to do the two bags of laundry that I handed her and asked in my best Creole if she wouldn't mind. By the time I was awake, which was 9 today, Rosie had already visited each unit. (Yea, I slept in. Miss Chantal will be wondering why I wasn't at breakfast today.) Rosie makes a point to visit each patient and sing for the unit and pray over them. I only know "petit petit Kreyol", but I can pick out some words and get the idea of what she is praying for. Rosie is a fervent prayer warrior. She prays with passion. She believes that God can heal these people and is always serving with a smile. 

That's another thing I love about her, she always smiles. Always. I have become accustomed to not seeing a lot of smiling faces here, but she never lets me down. She is a picture of God's faithfulness. She is steady, never yielding. I can depend on her to greet me with a "bonjou Jessica" every morning. 

By now, I hope you love Rosie as much as I do. I hope I've portrayed her adequately. I'll leave you with a verse that reminds me of the type of woman she is.

 
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Proverbs 31:25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment