Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The people you meet in Haiti


Beautiful. Pained. Tough. Joyous. 

These are some of the words I would use to describe a lot of the people I have met over the last 3 months. Some of them, I had previously met, but hadn't fully appreciated. 

Each one has touched my life in one way or another. I feel so fortunate to experience any of the good things and miracles that are here, within these people. 

One of the best gifts I received in Haiti is a new family. Yes, I have about 10, or so, new brothers. I love each of them for different reasons, but they are all beautiful men. They're caring and make sure I have a smile on my face. 

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17

These are just some of the pictures of my new family. Of course, no one could replace my actual brother. I actually miss that kid. (Don't worry mom, things will be back to normal with all of us living in the same house for 6 weeks.) 

There are also some of the most amazing children and families here in Haiti. Resiliency is abounding everywhere you turn. 

The first time I met Louikel and his mom, she told me she had no education and did not understand anything I was telling her. Less than 6 months later, she was taking care of Louikel at home, in the countryside, and advocating for his care!

Be satisfied with what you have, for He himself has said, I will never leave you or forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 

I almost cry every time I see this picture. This is Louis. One of the loves of my life and per his papa, my child. I can't tell you how much joy this child brings. Maybe the picture gives a glimpse, but it needs to be experienced first hand. This little buddy had less than 50% chance of living when he came to the hospital. He is now home and RUNNING with his siblings. He had never run before, according to his dad. 

A joyful heart is good medicine, Prov. 17:22

This is baby Annabelle and her parents. They are such God-fearing people. I remember her dad telling me that Annabelle is with Jesus on the day she passed away. Such a beautiful family. 

(I plan to write a little blog about the things that the children in Haiti have taught me! Look out for it!)

And now I sit in the airport with a joyfully broken heart awaiting my flight to Miami. This place, this country, these people are my people and they are in my blood. 

M ap vini anko, Ayiti! 








No comments:

Post a Comment